St Barnabas Church

Special Events Leaflets

These are summaries of the contents of the leaflets. The complete documents can be seen on the National Library of Wales website, To view a document click on the website link at the end of the item.

1. Organ Fund Account [undated document c. 1910-15]

List of Subscriptions and Balance Sheet
Daniel Jenkins,  Evan Powell
John Jones, Parc-cerrig,  David Hugh Lewis, Cawdor Mills
List of 430 church members, friends, etc and their financial contributions.
Polished brass altar cross by Mrs Hindes, Kirby House
Polished brass altar desk by Mrs Lewis, Llysderi
Two polished brass vases by Mrs Jones, Spring Gardens
Balance sheet at the back of the booklet: £208.17.6 collected in total.
The booklet can be seen by clicking

2. Dedication Service of Electric Organ Blower

in memory of
David Bruce Stewart Bruce-Jones, M.D.
given by
Dr and Mrs Benjamin Jones, Danygribyn, Velindre
Sunday, December 3rd, 1939 at 2.00pm.
The address was given by the Rector, Rev C Renowden
The order of service can be seen in the  leaflet,  

3. Welsh Church Laymen’s Appeal Fund 1952-53

Rector Rev Samuel Evans, B.A.
Warden J J Jones, Maesyrywen.
The list of 142 subscribers and their financial contributions can be seen in the leaflet,

4. Service to Celebrate the Refurbishment and Reopening of the Church

Wednesday, December 2, 1953.
Presentation of gifts -
Electric light lamps:
Mr and Mrs David Jones, Cryngae
Mr and Mrs T Lloyd Jones, Dolhaidd
Mrs Thomas, Greenhill
Mr John Jones, Castle Green
Mrs Griffiths, Blaenhalen
Mr John Jones, Landwr
Mr and Mrs Jones, Goitre
Mr J R Jones, Trecoed
Mrs W H Williams, Cwmbran, in memory of her parents, Mr and Mrs J Lewis, Bronhydden
Mrs M H Davies, in memory of her father, Mr John Jones, Tygwyn
Miss Jones, Bargoed Mills
Commemorative tablet for the organ:
In loving memory of  Thomas S F Morgan, died May 7, 1950: headteacher of  Felindre School; choirmaster and organist at Saint Barnabas Church for 28 years, 1918-46.
Donated by Mrs Morgan.
Mirror for the organ:
Donated by Mrs J R Jones, Trecoed
Bible for the pulpit:
Donated by Mrs M James and Mr D Evans, in memory of the late Mrs Sarah Evans, Garden View
Litany desk:
Donated by Mrs Margaret Jones, in memory of her parents, Mr and Mrs Ebenezer Davies, Maesyrywen
In memory of Mr and Mrs David Evans, Danwaring, donated by their children.
Altar frontal:
In memory of Mrs Elizabeth Evans, Pensarn, donated  by her daughters, Misses M and R A Evans.
Pulpit frontal:
Donated by Mr and Mrs David Daniels and family, in memory of  Sister Dilys Daniels, Oakford.
Prayer desk frontal:
Donated by Mr and Mrs S J Jones, in memory of the late Mr and Mrs Thomas Jones, Dyffryn.
Prayer desk frontal:
Donated by Miss Elizabeth Jones, in memory of her father, Mr Henry Jones, Ffynnonfach
Lectern frontal:
Donated by the children of the late Mrs Anne Thomas, in loving memory.
Purse and cover:
Donated by Mrs Jones and Mrs Davies, Preswylfa.
Silver water jug:
Donated by Miss Ruth Davies, Ivy Bush, in memory of the family.
Silver water bottle:
Donated by Mr Samuel Howells, Mrs M H Harries and Mrs A Thomas, in memory of Esther Howells and Private Willie Howells.
Collection plate:
Donated by Elizabeth Jane Howells in memory of the late David John Howells.
Writing desk for the vestry:
Donated by Messrs T Jones and Son, Glanywmor.
The order of service can be seen in the booklet,   

5. Centenary  Celebrations  1862/3  -  1963

July 10 and 11, 1963
Rector                      Reverend M D Jones, B.A.
Churchwardens       Mr D Jones, Maesgwilym
                                Mr J R Jones, Goitre Uchaf
PCC Secretary         Mr B D Rees, C.M.
Organists                 Mrs Brynmor Williams
                                 Mrs J R Jones, Trecoed
                                 Mr D L Baker –Jones, M.A.
Choirmaster              Mr W Davies
Bellringer                 Mr Vivian Lote
The Right Reverend Dr J Richard Richards, Lord Bishop of St Davids
The Very Reverend T E Jenkins, B.A., B.D., St Davids
Reverend C.R.Renowden, M.A., St Davids College
The Litany sung by Reverend J.E Davies, B.A., Llandybie
St Barnabas Church, Felindre
For years before St Barnabas Church, Felindre, was built, the local people worshipped in a building called Capel y Drindod (Trinity Chapel) known locally as Capel Bach (Little Chapel).
This chapel was built about 1713 beside the river Bargod near the bridge between Felindre and Dre-fach, where Maesycapel and Ywen-las are presently. Marriages were recorded in the books and it was said that there was a graveyard alongside. After serving for a long time as Church and School, the chapel was very dilapidated about 1860. In 1862 Lord Cawdor came to the rescue by donating land and paying for building a church in Felindre. The architect, Mr Brandon of London, chose to use light grey building stones from Penboyr moorland, and light grey slates from Pembrokeshire to complete a beautiful building. On 3rd July 1863 Bishop Thirlwall came to consecrate St Barnabas Church and graveyard  in the presence of 31 priests and about 2000 people. Reverend J Griffiths, Llandeilo preached eloquently and  suitably.
Following the generosity of the kind gentleman, it is pleasing to see that the inhabitants continue to appreciate their fine heritage. In 1953 the church members renovated and refurbished the building, and there was a great effort in 1962/3 to ensure that the Church was in a fit state to celebrate its centenary.
Today we thank Lord Cawdor for his generosity and for the work and testimony of generations of good church people who nurtured the fine tradition at St Barnabas Church.
May the Lord help us with his grace to be worthy of our heritage.
Order of Services

Wednesday, July 10 at 6.30pm.
Evening Prayer and Sermon by Reverend D J Lloyd, B.A., Cilgerran
Thursday, July 11
10.00am  Holy Communion and Sermon by Reverend C R Renowden, M.A.
2.30pm  The Litany; dedication of the new gates, the stained glass window and other gifts. Sermon by the Lord Bishop.
The gates will be opened by Mr T Davies, Lampeter and the children will sing “Calon Lân”.
6.30pm  Sung Evensong by St Davids Cathedral Choir, led by the Cathedral Minor Canon and Organist.  Sermon by the Dean.
Gifts to be presented

  1.  New gates at the graveyard entrance

Donated by Mr T Davies, Bon-Marche, Lampeter, in memory of his parents (Value £200)

  1.  Stained glass window to commemorate the centenary

Donated by church members

  1.  Silver box to hold the communion bread

Donated by the children of Pen-bont in memory of their parents

  1.  Brass jug for the font

Donated by the children of Cryngae

  1.  Cover for the font

Donated by church members in memory of Mrs A Evans, The Rectory, 1941-62

  1.  Candle lighter for the altar

Donated by Mr and Mrs D T James, Pleasant View, in memory of their daughter, Maureen.

  1.  A fine linen cloth for the altar

Donated by Mr E Rees, Penlongoitre, in fond memory of his dear wife, Mrs Elizabeth Rees.

  1. Blue curtains on each side of the altar

A fine white cloth for the altar
Hymn number cards
Mats for the church entrance
Donated by the Sunday School.
The order of services, psalms, hymns and lists of financial contributions and balance sheet can be seen in the booklet,   

6.  Dedication Service of a Stained Glass Window

The Dean of St Davids,
The Very Reverend T E Jenkins, B.A., B.D.
Sunday, September 12, 1965 at 2.30pm.
Window donated by  Mrs Margaret Jones, Mesyrywen,
To the glory of God and in memory of her husband, the late Johnny Jones.
The order of service can be seen in the leaflet,

7. Dedication Service of a Stained Glass Window

The Dean of St Davids,
The Very Reverend T E Jenkins, B.A., B.D.
Sunday. April 9 1967 at 2.30pm.
The subject of the window:
Christ giving the blind man his sight.
The text is:
To the glory of God and in dear memory of  Henry and Mary Stephens, Bridge House.
Donated by May, their daughter, and Evan Picton Walters, her husband.
The order of service can be seen in the leaflet,

8. Service to Celebrate Fifty Years of the Emlyn Deanery Temperance Festival 1917-67

St Barnabas Church.
July 28, 1967.
2.30pm    Children’s Service
                Address by Reverend J S Jones, Vicar of Llanllwni.
6.30pm    Evening Prayer
                Address by the Very Reverend  T E Jenkins, Dean of St Davids
               “To abstain in all things”
    The psalm and hymns can be seen in the leaflet,

9. Sacred Concert with the Organ(Vocal and Organ Recital)

Thursday, 17 April 1969.
Doors open at 7.30pm for 8.00pm
Reverend Alun Howells, Carmarthen.
Ifor Lloyd, Aberaeron
Patricia O’Neill, Pontarddulais
Ann Winston, Drefach.
Mrs J L Owen, Preswylfa, Felindre
Entry by programme.
Price 4/-      Children 2/-
The items will not be introduced and the congregations are asked not to applaud.
Reverend M D Jones, Rector, will give the blessing.
The list of songs and recitations can be seen in the leaflet,

10. Dedication Service of a New Door

The Very Reverend T E Jenkins, B.A., B.D.
Sunday, June 12, 1977 at 2.00pm.
The new door is donated to Saint Barnabas Church by Mr Evan Picton Walters, Green St, Cardigan in memory of his dear wife, Mary (May) Walters.
The order of service can be seen in the leaflet,

11. 150th Celebrations 1863 - 2013

15 June 7.00pm  
Swansea Accordion Orchestra
3 July
2.00pm     Ysgol Penboyr Children’s Service
7.00pm     Holy Communion Service
                 The Venerable Dr William Strange, Archdeacon of Cardigan
7 July  2.00pm
Celebration Service
Revd Dr John Gillibrand
Mr Brian Bushby-Jefferson
Mr Peter Moody
Mrs Marian Jones
Guest Preacher:
Revd Aled Edwards,
Chief Executive CYTÛN
The hymns can be seen in the leaflet,